Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2018

Venison Stroganoff

Its funny how after you grow up and move out on your own, you start to crave some of the stuff your family would make for dinner while you were growing up.  You know, those staple dishes your mom would make, that you kind of took for granted or even got sick of eating your whole life.  Tuna Casserole, Meatloaf, Cream Tuna & Peas, Bunkerslunk, etc.

My mom's beef stroganoff recipe is pretty amazing.  One of the first things I start to think about when deer season is coming is venison stroganoff, it makes my mouth water.  Except I've kind of got my own recipe, a venison version crossbred between my mom's and Paula Dean's.  Really, my recipe is all Paula Dean, except I add red wine to the pan until the smell hits my nose when I'm sautéing the onion and venison.  I also don't include any mushrooms unless I've got some morels on hand.

But that's not the recipe we're here for.  We're her for my mom's, which is admittedly more awesome.  Its good with beef or venison, but I prefer venison.  I bet its pretty good with elk, too, and hope to find out after I hunt for them out west next year.


My mom remarried after I was out of the house, and while that's a difficult thing for a family to deal with, nothing brings a family together better than sitting around the table for a good dinner-- or sharing recipes.  Her husband, Jeff, is actually a chef-- and a pretty good one-- so when I asked her for her stroganoff recipe, Jeff came through with the text message below.  Try this one out when you get a chance, its good stuff!
  1. Marinate 1.5lbs thinly sliced venison in ground black pepper and Worcestershire, (sprinkle on a couple teaspoons of black pepper and splash on a little Worcestershire and let sit lightly covered at room temp for at least an hour)
  2. Sauté a handful of sliced onion in 3 tablespoons of butter, add venison and sear, don't cook through, remove to bowl
  3. Add 2 tablespoons more butter to the pan and sauté about a pound of onions till translucent and some start to carmelize, remove from pan.
  4. Add 1.5lbs sliced mushrooms with more butter if needed and sauté till tender, add more butter, (about 2 or 3 tablespoons) and add 3 to 4 tablespons of flour, stir until brown and bubbly and flour is cooked. 
  5. Add 1 quart beef stock, 1/2 can tomato paste, two tsp dry mustard and 4 cloves of chopped or crushed garlic, add one bay leaf and add the rest of a quart of beef stock, two cans beef consommé (or another 2 cups of stock) and a teaspoon of Better Than Bouillon, bring to a bubble and stir.
  6. If not thick enough add a tablespoon or two of cornstarch dissolved in stock to the mix
  7. Once thickened, return beef, onions and mushroom to pan, stir in 1/2 cup or more of red wine, (burgundy is traditional, but use what you like). 
  8. Simmer until meat is tender, serve over buttered parsley noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blood Sport

  Blood Sport by Alex Cerveniak “Welcome to Clyde, Ohio.  Boyhood home of General James B. McPherson, the highest ranking union officer kill...